Foster carer hub
We're here to answer your questions and offer reassuring guidance throughout your fostering journeyLogin to your handbook
There's a lot to learn when you first start fostering. This can sometimes feel overwhelming
We have compiled resources to guide and help you throughout your journey, covering your induction as well as your ongoing training and development needs.
Our online handbook covers essential policies and guidance to follow, all in one place. It is for Action for Children foster carers only.
Please note: we are currently reviewing the foster carer handbook.
If you have any questions, get in touch with your supervising social worker.
Access the foster carer handbook
Fostering is governed by legislation, regulations and standards specific to England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
View the latest legislation for each country:
A short list of free resources for foster carers:
- Foster Carers' Charter. A charter of good practice developed by The Fostering Network and the Department for Education.
- Advice and resources from The Fostering Network.
- Covid-19 resources from Action for Children.
- Free online courses on Open University, including on attachment, childhood in the digital age, child psychology and more.
- Online safety resources from ThinkUKnow.
- Advice on young people’s mental health from MindEd.
- Tips on managing stress, anxiety and depression from the NHS.
- Autism awareness course from Dudley Council.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to speak to your supervising social worker.