Too much, too young report
Our report shows how something is going very wrong for the most vulnerable young people who have been in care and makes recommendations for change
Our report is based on research with young people and practitioners across England and Wales. It contains recommendations for elected and public bodies in England and Wales based on the evidence.
- The most vulnerable young people experience the highest levels of instability and uncertainty.
- Emotional well-being should be our starting point. Without it, practical support is not enough for the most vulnerable young people.
- Young people need long-lasting relationships they can trust, to help them manage living independently and bounce back when things go wrong.
- Returning home or maintaining links with birth family can be complicated.
- Every part of the state and its services takes some responsibility to behave as a good corporate parent but too often, systems not designed for vulnerable young people leaving care create more instability.